As we approach the new year, it’s time to take a look back at the most popular videos we shared throughout 2016.
Last year, many of our most viewed videos featured something “Star Wars” or something “Frozen” – and this year is no different. But only half of the list features characters from either of this popular properties, leaving plenty of other uniquely fun entertainment to be found in the other five.
We had more than 185 million views across all our videos in 2016 and the top 10 below represent the new ones that grabbed everyone’s attention the most.
Onward with the list…
10. Kylo Ren invades Jedi Training at Disney’s Hollywood Studios
“The Force Awakens” was hugely popular in 2016, especially as everyone’s new favorite bad guy Kylo Ren took to the stage at Walt Disney World.
9. NEW Kylo Ren, Captain Phasma in Star Wars: The Force Awakens stage show at Walt Disney World
Coming in right behind the 10th most viewed video is even more Kylo Ren, this time joined by Captain Phasma and the First Order as they command attention at Disney’s Hollywood Studios.
8. “Aladdin: A Musical Spectacular” full final performance at Disney California Adventure
Moving from one fan favorite to another, the long-running “Aladdin” musical stage show ended at the Disneyland Resort and its final performance caught a lot of attention.
7. Best Cosplay of San Diego Comic-Con 2016 – Marvel, DC, Disney, Girls & More
Always popular on this list of most viewed videos is our annual round-up of the best cosplay at San Diego Comic-Con and this year’s lineup was pretty stellar.
6. NEW Captain Phasma Stormtrooper March at Disney’s Hollywood Studios
Back to Walt Disney World, our final “Star Wars” video joins this list as Captain Phasma made her first theme park appearance.
5. FULL POV Tron Lightcycle Power Run ride at Shanghai Disneyland
This year brought us the addition of an all-new Disney theme park: Shanghai Disneyland. And fans were most excited about finally getting a ride based on “TRON.”
4. “Frozen – Live at the Hyperion” FULL first public performance at Disney California Adventure
Even more popular than the “Aladdin” musical ending was the introduction of the new “Frozen” musical in its place.
3. NEW “Frozen Ever After” full ride POV at Epcot Norway, Walt Disney World
And even more popular than the “Frozen” stage show was the new “Frozen” ride that debuted at Epcot this year.
2. Princess Elena of Avalor Royal Induction Ceremony at Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World
Not even the popularity of “Star Wars” or “Frozen” could take over the excitement surrounding a new Disney Princess being inducted at Walt Disney World!
1. FULL RIDE POV: “Skull Island: Reign of Kong” at Universal Orlando Islands of Adventure
But the top honors this year go to Universal Orlando as the highly-anticipated new “King Kong” ride made its debut, wowing guests with a massive new animatronic figure of the big ape himself.
As we move into 2017, if we had to make a prediction as to what the most popular video of the new year might be, it’s probably safe to bet on the opening of “Pandora: The World of Avatar” at Walt Disney World. But water park videos are always huge on YouTube and it’ll be a fight for that top spot as Universal Orlando opens Volcano Bay around the same time. Of course, there will surely be many more surprises, so be sure to subscribe to our YouTube channel to watch all our latest videos!
We have to include two horror-ific videos that didn’t quite crack the top 10 most viewed, but were quite popular nonetheless.
11. FULL Walking Dead attraction low light walkthrough 2016 at Universal Studios Hollywood
Universal Studios Hollywood debuted a year-round walkthrough attraction based on the hit TV series “The Walking Dead” and its grand opening was quite the frightful sight.
12. American Horror Story haunted house at Halloween Horror Nights 2016, Universal Orlando
At Universal Orlando, the “American Horror Story” haunted house at Halloween Horror Nights was almost unanimously the most popular with its stellar sets and crazy characters.
Happy New Year!